Monday, March 24, 2014

Robert B. Pruett Letter Johnson’s Island (Confed.)


Military History: Lieutenant 31st Alabama Infantry.

Letter Content: Pruett sent a letter to cousin asking for coat, pants, and shoes and includes sizes of each. He offers to make her prisoner jewelry if she sends him some of the needed supplies and included with his letter was a ring. “Weather is bad health of prisoners not good time hangs heavy it appears almost like and age since I entered these gloomy prison walls.”


Envelope: Contains Sandusky, OH and bulls eye stamp as well as examiner’s stamp.



The letter reads:

Ada
Johnson’s Island
Dec. 5th, 64

Dear Cousin,
                I herewith enclose you an application for clothing. Size for coat breast 38’’ waist 36’’ length of coat 40’’, please cut the coat double breasted with standing collar, size for pants waist 36’’ legs 33’’, size for shoes 8 or 9. Please send me a calf shoe with broad heavy bottoms.
                                                (Omit-sending any shirts or hat)
                If you desire some prisoner jewelry send some buttons, steel files, & a rule in the box. I have improved since I sent you any. I will sent you a ring in this letter it is a gutta-percha ring with nice bitts (shell) I will not write you for anything to eat unless I get sick then I will call on you please write me a few days before you ship the box, also send the application back in the box, don’t fail. Weather is bad health of prisoners not good time hangs heavy it appears almost like and age since I entered these gloomy prison walls.
                                                                  I close with due regards
                                                                                   Your cousin
                                                                                            Lt. R.B. Pruett
                                                                                            31st Ala. Regt.

No comments:

Post a Comment